Sunday, May 19, 2013

BORACAY SUMMER: WHAT HAPPENED IN BORACAY STAYED IN BORACAY

Many of us Filipinos who just don't have the easy money to go around will always have Boracay in their bucket list.  I admit I am no exception to that.  I saved for a year for this much-awaited vacation and now here I am on this bucket list adventure.  We took  a Cebu Pacific flight to Caticlan which is already in the Municipality of Malay where Boracay is located.  I did some plenty of research on how to do-it-yourself Boracay vacation.  I was not comfortable in making reservations over the internet especially when you're not speaking directly to the person-in-charge.  Since it's the summer and there are no more cheap vacation packages during this time, we decided to go on with my own plan.  Booking a flight to Caticlan was a breeze since the first morning flight was relatively cheap.  But booking the flight back to Manila was the difficult part because after a 3 days 2 nights stay in Boracay, the afternoon flight back home tripled its price.  I was compelled to shift to plan B where I have to stay for another night and take the first morning flight which is also cheap.  So the entire vacation became a 4 days 3 nights escapade.


When the plane landed in Caticlan Airport, I learned it is also called Boracay Airport or Godofredo P. Ramos Airport.  The airport was  developed  by  Transaire,  serving the general area of the town of Malay, located in the province of Aklan in the Philippines.




It is one of the two gateways to Boracay, one of the Philippines' best-known tourist destinations. The airport is classified as a Class 2 Principal airport by the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines.



The airport is the seventh busiest airport in the Philippines and the third-busiest in the Western Visayas region, serving 761,961 passengers in 2008.  Imagine that!



Since November 8, 2002, the airport has been named after the late Godofredo P. Ramos, a former member of Congress and a native of Malay. However, the name Caticlan Airport takes its name from its location on Barangay Caticlan in the same town.

As soon as I stepped out of the airport, first thing I did was to look for a hotel nearby where I can stay on the 3rd night in time for the early flight back home.  I found Emduke Hotel, a quaint Canadian-inspired hotel just across the airport departure area.  I immediately reserved for the last night so I can be assured of a room when I come back from Boracay.  I decided to have breakfast there before heading out to Caticlan Jetty Port. 


Emduke Hotel is a simple but beautiful place.  It is well secured because it is within the airport compound guarded by airport security.  The owner is a retired Canadian Mounted Policeman married to a Filipina.  The decorations that adorned the place are memorabilias from the Canadian Mounties. 


The rooms are clean, simple and very quiet for a relaxing moment before returning to Manila.  Good thing it was just across the airport so as soon as the airport opened at 5:30 am, I was already at its doorsteps without any worry for getting late for the return flight to Manila.


Since it was my first time in Boracay, I don't know where to start.  So I asked around the place and fortunately an Aklanon approached me and asked me if I have already an accomodation in Boracay.  Since I have no idea where to go I accepted the man's offer since he was assuring me that the price is cheap and the hotel is very near to all the popular places.  I was not disappointed with his promise.  So officially, here begins my Boracay escapade.



As I waited for the boat to cast off, I can't help and be awed by the clean water of Caticlan.  With so much activity around the jetty and the number of tourists going in and out of Boracay, the water in the pier remained clean.  There were no signs of oil on the surface of the water so generally the people here has a high regard for the environment.   I hope that the local government can maintain the sustainability of the place and keep it clean for future generations to come.


Since this was my first time in Boracay, there were many surprises that met me along the way.  First I have to take a tricycle going to Caticlan jettyport. Then you have pay for the boat fee, terminal fee and environmental fee. 


Upon getting off at Boracay port, you have to take another tricycle to take me to Station 2 where my accommodation is located.  I have to pay for the hotel accommodation and lastly pay for the guy that helped and facilitated my accommodation.


All-in-all I paid 7 different kinds of fees just to reach Boracay not even including the plane trip and the car that I have to leave at NAIA 3 from which I will still have to pay parking fee after leaving it for 3 days parking.  Whew!  Boracay is indeed an expensive vacation that you cannot simply take on impulse.  You have to carefully plan it to avoid spending too much.  But nevertheless I'm still all smiles since I am still anticipating a great summer vacation ahead.


3 comments:

  1. It maybe expensive but not really, the fees are fair enough, there are cheap hotels in boracay, there are also promo air far... the experience in Boracay is more than what you pay for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comment. it's very seldom i get comments from readers. yes, i couldn't agree more. boracay is indeed one experience worth the trip. i'm aware of the cheap and promo air fair that you are saying. however, these cheap options cannot be availed on a moments notice in the middle of summer. that's why i said that it was en expensive trip because i took the trip on a mere impulse. i can actually make it cheaper based on your advice. thanks for the comment again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are travelling again to Boracay you can check this Boracay Packages that will surely fit in to your budget.

    ReplyDelete