Thursday, May 9, 2013

CLIMB DOWN AND UP A CLIFF OF PAGSANJAN FALLS AND MEETING THE DEVIL IN ITS CAVE

Pagsanjan Falls a.k.a. Cavinti Fallsin Cavinti, Laguna is a known tourist destination because of the captivating beauty of its majestic falls and the experience of shooting the rapids of its river while traversing its course upstream and downstream.  This place has seen its glory days when it was the top choice destination of foreign tourists as photos of it beautiful falls graced countless posters of  tourism advertisements here and abroad, until it was removed from the list of popular tourist destinations because of the widespread influx of foreign pedophiles in the area and also due to the unscrupulous practices of boatmen, hotels and related businesses.  As a result, a significant decline of foreign tourists was observed at the end of the last century. Today it is still in the process of recovering its lost glory thru efforts of the local government in strictly regulating the boating industry.


In recent years, the neighboring town of Cavinti began to bolster its claim over the famous falls due to the fact that the falls itself is situated within the jurisdiction of the municipality of Cavinti and not Pagsanjan.  Pagsanjan Falls got its name because the starting point for the boat trip to the falls begins in Pagsanjan, hence the falls was dubbed Pagsanjan.  The most familiar way to visit the falls was the usual boat trip that starts in the town of Pagsanjan.  First you have to make sure that you transact your business with accredited boatmen and not fall prey to the unscrupulous ones.


Cavinti launched its own tourism program for the place by providing an alternate route to the falls.  But let me warn you, this route is not for the faint of heart because it involves climbing down a vertical ladder fastened on the wall of the cliff just beside the falls itself.  For those with a fear of heights, they may opt to have a harness fastened around them for safety precaution.  But for the thrill seeker, having no harness at all adds up to the fun.  The so-called vertical trek is far cheaper than the boat ride but of course you can only exit the place by climbing back up the ladder all the way to the top!  Now is there anything that can beat that adrenaline rush for a novice climber like me!  The only thrill climbing I did is when I climbed the ladder of the giant water tank in our subdivision.  Honestly, my knees were trembling all the time it made the tour guides nervous whether I can finish the rountrip climb.  They are probabaly worried how they are going to carry me should an emergency arise in the middle of the cliff. Well folks, I SURVIVED THE PAGSANJAN FALLS CHALLENGE!


The highlight in this expedition is that you don't just get to see the waterfalls but go through it as well.  There is a shallow cavern just behind the waterfalls and people here call it the Devil's Cave.  You can just imagine how ecstatic I felt when I finally entered the cave and established my presence there.


Pagsanjan Falls never lost its majestic presence in the forests of Laguna.  Its mysterious aura still attracts tourists and nature lovers to return over and over again to grace its captivating beauty.  Currently, there are 2 municipalities claiming jurisdiction over the place and at this point each had drawn their respective areas for visitors. Visitors coming in by way of the boats should also leave the way they came.  That goes the same who enter via the vertical trek.  The disadvantage here is that those entering via the vertical trek never gets to experience shooting the rapids and those entering by boat never gets to experience the vertical trek.  There are still some boatmen that still extort extra fees from tourists, when they have reached a certain point halfway and away from the prying eyes of authorities.  They would deceive tourists into believing that the final push to the falls is impossible with the load unless they pay extra charge for the attempt.  As if you owe them if they were able to bring you to the main falls.  They would even try to squeeze out tips from suckered tourists.  That is probably why tourists shun the place.  When will they ever learn? tsk tsk tsk.



That's the best thing about the verical trek. The entrance fee is cheap.  The trek helps you in your physical fitness.  There are no extra fees. No extortion. And best, you get the same trip to Devil's Cave just like any tourist will.  So in this aspect I give a thumbs up to the Cavinti Falls Vertical Trek.


As I bid goodbye to Cavinti Falls and begin my ascent back to the top, I swore that I will visit this beautiful falls once again in the future because the experience that I got here is worth recommending to others who feel that the boat trip is expensive for one's budget.


When I first embarked on this journey, I planned that I would be going down the cliff since the descent is easier than the ascent.  With my physical built, going down already posed a challenge for me.  After enjoying the falls, I was planning to exit the place by shooting the rapids.  To my disappointment, my plans crumbled when I realized that I can only leave the place from where I came in. At this point I realized that I'll be in for a hard climb.


Good thing the euphoria that I felt upon successfully reaching the falls and Devil's Cave provided me with the needed adrenaline to carry out this fight-or-flight situation.  Either I do this or I spend the night in the falls.  I felt I became a prisoner of the place.  Do I have a choice? None! So, BRING IT ON AND LET'S CLIMB OUR WAY TO FREEDOM!


The trip to Devil's Cave is a bucket list adventure that's one for the books.  It was scary at first but once you're inside, the deafening roar of the falls in the mouth of the cave scares off all the fears awaw. Good this I brought with me my waterproof camera so I shoot away for as long as I can until I can longer bear the coldness of the endless shower of the falls and darkness of the cave.  One will not use this place as a shelter as one can die from hypothermia inside. 


When I finally reached the top, I shouted proudly declaring that I have defeated the challenge of the Cavinti Cliffs and emerged as the victor at the end!  This trip sure boosted my self-esteem that despite being physically-challenged and at the same time afflicted with the big "C", I probably earned more points to prolong my life.  I just wished it was just that easy.  


That's it folks!  This is DocFun from the bowels of Devil's Cave of Pagsanjan/ Cavinti Falls greeting you all a great day and have a fun time traveling!


I firmly believed that traveling is one of the best forms of medicine.  Each one of us may have different capacities to conduct our trips, but the most important is how you set one goal to get you going and cherish that victorious moment when accomplishing it.  Bucket list items do not necessarily have to be places.  Sometimes performing a challenging task in the comfort of your home and accomplishing it is reward enough!

Just make sure that every bucket list task done made you happy, liberated you from guilt and freed you from depression.  That is all that matters!

The Pagsanjan Adventure is one of my inspiring journeys in discovering my inner self.  After this expedition, it ignited my passion to travel and seek out new things I have never done in my life.  LIVE! TRAVEL  and next thing you know, YOU ARE LIVING YOUR LIFE ALL ALONG!


No comments:

Post a Comment