Saturday, May 11, 2013

SAND BAR HOPPING AT WHITE ISLAND, CAMIGUIN

Our next bucket list adventure is the White Island off Camiguin Island.  The island is actually a sand bar in the middle of the sea in whose story claims that the entire island of Camiguin was once lined with white sand beaches.  But as the island was inaundated by lava and pyroclastic material from Mt. Hibuk-Hibok, the entire island's sand was turned into black sand.  All that remains in the white sand bar known as "White Island".  The island has no permanent topography because it changes its form every now and then influenced by the daily surge of the tides.


Upon landing in the island, one cannot help but be mesmerized by the commanding view of Mt. Hibok-Hibok across the bay.  Camiguinis the smallest island province and the entire island is a volcano.  That is why Camiguin is dubbed as the "Island Born of Fire."


I was very ecstatic in this summer escapade because this is the first time for me in this island!  The first time for me to be with my only son on a summer trip!  First time to finance a big contingent of vacationers: my sister, her 3 daughters and my 2 nephews from Cagayan de Oro City.  I saved for an entire year in this trip and true enough, this summer vacation was my best summer ever that time!


White Island is so beautiful, with its crystal clean waters ideal for snorkeling and powdery white sand to boast for.  I would suggest anyone going there to visit the island either early in the morning  where there are only few people at first.  Late in the afternoon may also be great but there will be more visitors during that time making taking pictures in isolation very difficult.


We rented a few goggles and snorkel for the children to do some snorkeling.  They had the time of their lives enjoying the beautiful marine biota around the island.  I just made sure of monitoring their activity to avoid untoward drownings and jellyfish stings from happening.


No comments:

Post a Comment