Saturday, April 4, 2015

SAMANG NORTE FALLS, Bolinao: Seize the Moment and Take the Plunge or Forever Regret

Have you ever visited a super awesome place but regret not doing what you want to do?  There are moments in life that one has to take a leap of faith for one to find out what's on the other side.  Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.  If you wait for a lifetime for the right moment is a paradox.  Take a chance and whether it came out right or wrong are all the lessons of life.  If you dare nothing, then when the day is over, nothing is all you will have gained.  The brief moment I had with my students when we visited this enchanting falls imparts a simple but relevant lesson in life.
When the moment came for me to prepare for the annual Environmental Science field trip, our original destination was supposed to be Palawan but many complications arose which prompted us to shift our attention to Bolinao, Pangasinan.  I had to create an itinerary that covers both aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.  The tour provider presented several proposals that was a little too high for the students so I streamlined the program.  One thing that entered my mind are the waterfalls of Bolinao.  
Every time I write about  a place I always see to it that I write trivial information that stimulates the curiosity of my readers.  But on this occasion the name "samang" which is the name of Bolinao Falls 2 doesn't seem to hit anything on every search engine I used in the internet.  The old-timers here could probably shed some light about the name of this place.  From what I have gathered, the closest I  have ever come to getting to know the origin or the palce is that "samang" maybe the contracted form of the word "samahan", which depicts the regionalism of Filipinos in the northern region, hence the very popular S.I. or Samahang Ilocano.
The hectic schedule of our Bolinao environmental field trip relegated the visit to this falls on the last agenda of our list.  The morning was a tiring activity for the students where they went snorkeling the entire morning to swim up close and personal with the giant clams.  After we returned to the hotel, every one ate lunch, took their final bath and prepared to go home.  Everyone was tired and no longer consider the idea of getting wet again when we visit Samang Norte Falls on the way home.  But for someone like me who seizes every moment to get wet when chasing waterfalls is something that will never fade away.  
It was a whopping 7 kilometers of rough road drive inland from the main highway for the 2 brand new Toyota Hi-Ace Vans we were riding but the travel was relatively comfortable.  I was ever ready to get wet as soon as we arrive at the falls.  But for the students who were spick and span when they trekked to the falls, what welcomed us was a jay-dropping sight of a very beautiful falls inviting a weary traveler to just let it go and take the plunge.  I immediately seized the moment and jumped into the water.  No sooner was I in the water when the student all went back to the vans to change back to their wet clothes.
I had the falls all for myself at that moment and thank God for this feeling of peace and serenity that He has given me in my life despite the challenges that beset me in the past.  All that has come to pass and everyone of us has our ups and downs in life. But what matters most is how we rise up and learn to move on with life.  All these peace and tranquility I give thanks to the Almighty.
 One thing I regret not doing during our visit to this beautiful falls, as a photographer, I allowed myself to be dumbstruck by the beauty of the place that I forgot to venture and capture the waterfalls with my camera at all angles possible.  The mysterious bottom that is not visible from the surface had such a hypnotic effect on me that all that was in my mind was to jump in the water to get that adrenaline rush my body was craving for. The same effect seemed to have taken over everyone else since the only business at hand was to jump in.

The students had youth on their side and the feeling of invincibility as they jump fearlessly into the dark waters of the pool below.  Those are privileges they are now enjoying which they will cherish and never regret doing for the rest of their lives.  
But for me as a mid-century man, the adrenaline rush is my fountain of youth to keep all the diseases at bay that are constantly threatening my very existence here on Earth.  Just like them, I took a leap of faith and it felt good.  But for those who hesitated, there will still be other times to try it but I advised not to wait for the right time because there is no such thing as a right time for moments like these.
In relation to our topic of ecotourism, many tourism in natural areas such as this waterfalls is not genuine ecotourism and is not, therefore, sustainable. Ecotourism is distinguished by its emphasis on conservation, education, traveler responsibility and active community participation. Specifically, ecotourism should possess the following characteristics: a conscientious, low-impact visitor behaviour; sensitivity towards, and appreciation of, local cultures and biodiversity; support for local conservation efforts; sustainable benefits to local communities; local participation in decision-making; educational components for both the traveler and local communities.  
Increased tourism to sensitive natural areas without appropriate planning and management can threaten the integrity of ecosystems and local cultures. The increase of visitors to ecologically sensitive areas can lead to significant environmental degradation. Likewise, local communities and indigenous cultures can be harmed in numerous ways by an influx of wealth and other temptations.  Although there are clear efforts being undertaken by the local community, they still have a long way to go in keeping the ecotourism of Bolinao Falls sustainable through the years.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment